Learn how to balance your chakras so that you can feel happy and inspired.

“Am I An Empath?” The difference between empathy and being an empath

It’s easy to confuse being an Empath with being empathetic. In this 4 minute video, I break down how to EASILY know whether you are truly an Empath or not.

Plus, at 2:28 I give a great explanation of empathy vs. being an Empath that you can use on friends and family that just don’t understand. Don’t be hard on them, they haven’t walked in your shoes. ;-)

In the comments below, let me know whether you are an EMPATH or HIGHLY EMPATHIC or BOTH. I can’t wait to hear from you!

Also, if you’re an Empath and have friends or family that simply don’t “get it,” share this video with them. It will help them understand you better.

xoxo

Rev. Kerti

PS – You can get the free download for the Inner Steel Technique – the technique that helps you keep YOUR energy strong without compromising your sensitivity – here: http://www.spiritualmechanic.com/inner-steel-download/

If you enjoyed this article, join in to get free email updates!

15 Comments

1. Pierre-Alexandre
    Posted November 24, 2013 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

I am empathetic. It’s definitely a mental exercice for me.

2. Amelia Wiederaenders
    Posted November 24, 2013 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

I can literally feel other peoples feelings or physical sensations sometimes.

3. Posted November 24, 2013 at 6:36 pm | Permalink

I’m not sure. It feels like I usually absorbed other people’s moods most of my life (in more of an empathic than empathetic way), but that I don’t quite as much as I used to – almost like that separation has come with growing emotionally, learning what’s mine and what’s not – and when I feel other people’s moods now, it’s increasingly in a more empathetic way. What might that mean?

• Posted November 24, 2013 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

I’ve also found that learning what is and isn’t mine helps me to stay in the empathetic lane more than the empathic lane. My best guess is that it means you’ve gotten emotionally stronger, so other people’s emotions no longer have the same effect. The volume can get turned down when we learn to stay true to our emotions, and no longer feel the need to engage everyone else’s emotions.

4. Posted November 24, 2013 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Wow, it’s confirmed. I’m an Empath.

5. sylvie
    Posted November 24, 2013 at 8:48 pm | Permalink

Is it possible to have empathy most of the times for people but to be an empath for some persons only.. I mean can we be both of them ?

• Posted November 25, 2013 at 4:43 am | Permalink

Yes, Sylvie! These are two different skills/experiences so you can definitely have both. Some people are only Empathic with people they’re close to. :-)

6. Posted November 25, 2013 at 1:35 pm | Permalink

Love your work Erin and would actually love to discuss the option of working together one day.

This is an interesting video and I am not sure if it is always that easy to make a distinction between being an empath or being empathic. As we do have cells in our brain that pick up on other people’s feelings whether we know the story or not.

They are called mirror neurons and you can find out more about them in my free workbook on how we are all empaths at http://www.vibrationalchameleon.com

• Posted November 25, 2013 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

Hi Steffie,

Thank you so much!

Most people (with the possible exception of sociopaths, as they lack empathy completely) are capable of feeling other people’s emotions or vibes, both due to mirror neurons and the heart wave. For me, when I define “Empath” I’m speaking about someone who picks up other peoples/animals/the planet’s “stuff” to the point that it’s either very difficult or impossible to distinguish it from their own “stuff.” I know not everyone has the same definition. ;-) Not everyone is Empathic under my definition. That being said, being empathic is a sliding scale more than it is a yes/no situation, but in the case of being empathetic vs. being empathic in any singular interaction, it really is as simple as the timing.

Sending love!
      Erin-Ashley

7. Posted November 25, 2013 at 11:23 pm | Permalink

I’m an empath though I only recently admitted it out loud. I feel the body sensations & emotions of my clients, sometimes before they even do.

8. Cheryl
    Posted February 8, 2014 at 7:57 am | Permalink

I always thought I was an empath because I feel the energy in the environment (like when I walk into a house), can absorb it and release positive, but also have a problem at times with it overwhelming me. That was my reason for running away from the city – too much negative energy that began to affect me.

I cannot imagine being in anyone shoes, but I can feel the emotions, especially the pain they are going through as if it was my own. I guess I am just plain strange, lol.

Unfortunately, it is not just with people. When I search my soul it cries in agony for the earth, the animals, and all the human beings.

Thanks for clearing that up, I guess one day I may figure it out… or not. Not like I have found what I should do with it anyway. Best wishes and thank you for helping others who are normally considered odd.

• Posted February 8, 2014 at 8:04 am | Permalink

Hi Cheryl,

It sounds to me like you’re an emotional empath AND a physical empath. An emotional empath feels other’s emotions as though it’s her own emotion, and a physical empath feels the pains and physical sensations of people/energy she is around. I have another video “5 Types of Empaths” that I think you would benefit from. Here’s the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JolPEXU0Vic

The best thing to do with your empath abilities are to simply accept them and allow your body to release the stress energy whenever you can. Some feel called to use them to heal others, some simply enjoy going through life as an empath without using them this way. There’s no wrong, here.

Sending love!