Learn how to balance your chakras so that you can feel happy and inspired.

Five Types of Empaths

When I first started to explore my gifts and talents as an intuitive, I found it difficult to figure out what type of intuitive I was. I didn’t resonate with the way many people experienced their intuition, and the label “empath,” as defined by many, didn’t quite work for me, either.

For instance, if you research “empath” on Google and start perusing the articles that pop up, you’ll see descriptions like “Knowing stuff without being told” (which is claircognizance, by the way, and has nothing to do with being an empath), “Strangers will unload their baggage onto you seemingly out of the blue,” “Abhors clutter,” “Constantly drained or fatigued,” “Can’t walk by someone in pain.” And many others that simply didn’t resonate with me.

I’d show you a picture of my office to disprove the “Abhors clutter” one… but I like you too much to do that to you. At the moment there are three piles of papers on the floor, and I can’t find my coaster under all the paper on my desk.

My messiness aside, I didn’t understand that the intuition talks to different people in different ways. We all have our own unique “language” when it comes to psychic development and the intuition, and I was simply getting information differently than the people I was reading about.

It wasn’t until I started working with people one on one with my coaching that I really understood how incredibly varied the intuition is. So, if you have felt confused about being an empath (or are just curious), check out the video below. It’s 13 minutes, and it has some fantastic tips to tell what type of empath you are.

As always, the action happens on the blog! So, if you have great tips for figuring out your empath style, head on over and share!

If you enjoyed this article, join in to get free email updates!

17 Comments

1. Posted January 2, 2014 at 7:52 am | Permalink

i want to know what kind of empath i am as i experience all the 5 types of empathic feelings?

• Posted January 2, 2014 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Hi John,

If you experience all 5, then you are all 5 types of Empaths. It’s not uncommon to have more than one.

xoxo
      Erin-Ashley

2. Chelsea
    Posted March 24, 2014 at 9:55 pm | Permalink

Hello, I was just wondering if you’d be willing to give me your opinion on a subject? I think I might be some sort of empath or at least have some tendencies but I’m not so sure what’s going on. I personally don’t have a lot of feelings, as in I don’t feel much emotion, usually just mellow. But I’m pretty reclusive and there are some people I can tolerate being around and other people I just can’t spend too much time with. Usually I get uncomfortable around the latter because it’s like they make me feel, but I think because I’m so used to just feeling on one note, I get overwhelmed and literally need to escape. It’s like I get this feeling in my chest and I know I’m feeling, I just don’t know what it is. It’s like when your hand has been out in the cold for god knows how long and you put it into some water, it doesn’t matter if it’s cool/warm/hot you’re not going to be able to tell what temperature it is, it’s only going to register that it is uncomfortable. That’s how it is when I’m around those people. I don’t know what I’m feeling, only that I AM feeling and it’s intense and uncomfortable. But then I also have this sick need to make people feel comfortable around me and open up and I don’t even realize I’m doing it, but then it usually gets to a point where I feel like they’re taking little bits of me, literally, and I scamper away in my usual, spastic style. And I know that sounds crazy, because how can people take bits of you? And in addition to that stuff I also feel bad because I have a lot of problems with people being attracted to me/liking me when I don’t feel the same way about them but I also think that it’s generally my fault because there are times that I just have this need to make people feel so good around me, like I know life can suck and I just want them to feel content and at ease, even if it’s just for a few minutes. And there are times when I’m convinced I’m like projecting something that is manipulating them in some way. And I literally feel crazy. And a lot of times I feel like all this could mean something, or that it doesn’t mean anything. Or perhaps I have some sort of disorder. I don’t know. But I do feel bad for my google search bar.

• Posted March 25, 2014 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Hi Chelsea, it sounds like you’re a very sensitive person, possibly an empath, and have been numbing yourself. I’d highly recommend checking out this PDF (http://www.spiritualmechanic.com/sensitive-superpower-success/) and slowly lean into feeling again. It’s not easy to do, so give yourself plenty of time and space to do it. When a sensitive does this, it’s usually because they are SO sensitive that it’s really hard to want to connect because the feelings are completely overwhelming and trigger anxiety of not being able to control the emotions, themselves or the environment (or all three). If you haven’t already, take up a very light meditation practice. One or two minutes a day to start. You can always add more once that’s easy, and it may not be easy for you at first.

3. Amber
    Posted April 8, 2014 at 5:32 pm | Permalink

I need help!!! I believe my 8 year old daughter Eternity has inherited my families empathetic abilities. << not the problem… the real problem is i dont know how to help her understand, control, or even work with these abilities. Personally, i have been suppressing mine since a young age always being told its not true, cant happen, or i was making it up… i dont want that for her. Its gotten so bad for her this past year she cant even manage in school always in pain or not feeling well unable to concentrate on work because she is so overwhelmed with everything she is receiving… she can tell me things are going to happen before they do mostly tramatic things. I dont know how to help her where to find help for her, i cant even help her understand and harness what is going on with her.. CAN YOU HELP MY BABY????

• Andria
      Posted May 23, 2014 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

You and your child need to use this as an educational way for you both but mainly BONDING. Most people will tell you to meditate. Well there is more to it. Whatever you and your child enjoy together needs to be done from now on daily. If you can volunteer at the school to help your child have a trusted and loving reminder around. My name is Andria and thankfully I had an open minded mother that did everything in her power to help me. I am more than just an empath. Haveing been taught by native Americans, ‘witches’, pagans, and numerous others. Having gifted children too. It’s not easy ever for us. Please feel free to contact me at andriaprasadi@yahoo.com too much to talk about here

4. Amy
    Posted June 10, 2014 at 9:09 pm | Permalink

This is a shot in the dark for me, but I figured I’d give it a shot. All my life I have been “sensitive”, from sensing spirits, having countless times of deja vu ( or feeling as though “Ive been here before’), knowings a person aura color but not really “seeing” it, being able to have a emotion and place it with a visual energy/mist with a color (i.e. : the emotion anxiety is black) as well as having the ability to direct my personal energy/ chi/chalkra to my hands and feet. Like for example if my hand falls asleep, that pins-and-needles feeling, I can make it go away after visualizing my chalkra to my hand… among other things. Also I feel like I should be a healer… Like I said this was a long shot, but its gotten ‘worst’… thats not the right word, maybe, harder to ‘cope with’? …. I don’t know what to do…. let alone who to talk to.

5. Luna
    Posted July 10, 2014 at 1:04 am | Permalink

So I am an animal empath. I have a cool story I want to share about my experience as an empath. I have 5 cats right now and one of them is a Siamese mix named Ivory. One day he got really sick. I had a massive stomach ache and I felt weird that day. I went to give my cat a pet and when I touched him near his lower part of his tummy he yelped in pain. I thought okay me a tummy ach him a tummy ache he has a flu bug. I was still more concerned then normal and I kept my eye on his behavior. I tried to do other things to get my mind off of him being sick but it only got worse. I knew something was not right. “Ivory, what is wrong?” He looked at me and he walked into the bathroom and opened the cupboard door. He went inside and layed down. I followed him and looked at him and he looked back at me. I instantly felt this feeling that he was dieing. I yelled to my hubby and told him “I think the cat just went in the cupboard to die” I freaked and we rushed him to the vet. I tried to calm myself and kept telling myself I was going crazy and that it was nothing but deep down I could feel he was dying. When we got him to the vet they took him right away and ran some tests. It turns out he had a few hours left to live before his bladder burst. He had a stone in his bladder just big enough to block him so he could not go. A blockage is fatal if not taken care of. I agreed to pay for the surgery and he is alive today. Had I have not been completely in tune with my animals emotions that day he would be dead. I learned to never doubt myself again. Had I have not taken him to the vet and convinced myself it was all in my head like I do many times I would have lost my fur baby. I would have been devastate. So yea this is a happy story. I took him for his recent urine test and he is fine.

6. Gabby McConnell
    Posted July 15, 2014 at 6:19 am | Permalink

Hi! I’ve known for a few years that I may be an empath and am recently coming to terms with and accepting it. I was raised Lutheran, but my mind kept rejecting all the ideologies since age 3. I’ve been dating an empath for three months now, though he didn’t know until a few weeks ago that I was and a lot of confusion was cleared up over my unusual reactions to high emotional situations. When confronted with anger or sadness, I withdraw into myself and find that I can’t freely communicate without high levels of anxiety and physical stress. I’ve recently discovered that things I thought were normal all my life weren’t so normal. I thought everyone dreamed in color. I thought everyone could take control of their dreams. I’ve recently discovered that I even share and take dreams from others. All this time I thought I was dreaming of random fictional characters created by my mind. When I was a child I used to recreate entire days, second by exact second in my dreams. Reliving and analyzing days that troubled me in ways I couldn’t decipher in my waking reality. I’ve met spirits in my dreams. Friendly ones and demonic ones, and a few that needed help that I didn’t know how to give. Recently my boyfriend, an empathic healer, put a block on my headaches. He was doing it in my sleep so I wouldn’t know he was taking my pain. He began to have them instead. I intuitively knew what he’d done and felt so guilty that I somehow subconsciously drew the headaches back from him. He said I shouldn’t be able to do that, that no one he’s ever met has ever been able to reverse his pain blocks and I am much more powerful than I realize. But I seem to channel most of my abilities while I’m asleep. I need to learn to harness and control things while I’m awake before the emotions overwhelm me in ways I can’t control. How do I learn to reign in something I don’t quite even understand? I don’t even know where to begin.

7. David
    Posted July 30, 2014 at 12:17 am | Permalink

It’s kind of hard to believe that there are this many empaths. No offense but it makes me feel like some of you are fake or are misled into a false belief somehow. I was born with this ability enhanced by my parents divorce when I was 6. I feel everything around me. Pain exists in everyone and most people couldn’t deal with the tidal wave of emotions that come with this ability. I’ve been to countless sites and they’ve all been fake. Praying on the weaker minded. I do feel this site is different though. This gift can be dangerous and is not something that should be played with. I am a powerful empath and sometimes it’s a curse. I’m 18 now. I’ve felt everyone for years and before I knew what to do with it I hurt all the time. Helping people helps you. It’s one of the only ways I’ve been able to cope. My family was cursed in agony and despair and I had to feel it all. You have to stay strong. If you’re a real empath you’ll know what I’m talking about.

• Posted August 3, 2014 at 6:30 am | Permalink

Hi David,

Being an Empath is different for each person. I’ve personally worked with hundreds of Empaths, and each one has their own sensitivities. It sounds like you are incredibly sensitive, even for an Empath, but there are Empaths that meet the qualifications who aren’t as sensitive as you. It’s all on a continuum, so it’s not the same for everyone. There are quite a few I’ve worked with who are in the weird in between states where they have many traits of being an Empath, but not all of them. Each person is different because each BODY is different. That doesn’t make them less “real” than you. Just different.

Sending love,
      EA

8. chris
    Posted August 16, 2014 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

My dad passed down this crap to me & i have to say its got a few good points but has made me really hate humans in general, because what most people don’t realize is that being an empath isn’t great at all, you’re inside people hearts, souls, & minds constantly with out an off switch, now does that sound like a ability(psychic or not) that you would want to have or want your kids to have…I think not. My dad never even told me about that he was one till I was 22, which makes him an ass at this point, because I’ve gone through life thinking I’m crazy, hearing voices, having mood swings, seeing things that even the people around me can’t. This is a curse, not a gift.

9. Amanda
    Posted November 1, 2014 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

So, I don’t know if I’m an empath or not. I know that I have told myself time and time again that I would stop caring about other people, stop letting myself get hurt, stop letting me come last. But, every time someone is sad or bummed out around me I become sad and bummed out for no reason, and want to help them but can’t because I feel the same way. And when I’m around happy or drunk people I start acting drunk or become really happy. When people are joking around with me, I often joke back and then later realize I’m not that person and worry if I hurt their feelings. I just tend to mimic the people around me, so I’m really the only one that knows who I am and that’s only when I’m alone . I just need answers because I hate this. I hate it all, I hate how easily I do things to make people happy, even when I know I don’t want to do it, I hate not sticking up for myself, I hate when I break down and don’t go to anyone because I don’t want them to see how easily I’m hurt, I hate when I detach myself and don’t feel anything, and I absolutely hate when I don’t even know why I’m sad or angry or happy.

10. tigrelily
    Posted November 25, 2014 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

I have a few experiences that happened to me years ago. The first I can remember was when my brother committed suicide. My mother had gone to visit my brothers who were in another state (my parents were divorced and my brothers had stayed in the same state as my Dad, and she left me behind. I was 17 at the time and very responsible. Well one day while she was gone I woke with a feeling of hopelessness and dread, like there was just no point in getting out of bed. I played hookey from school and when the school called I pretended to be my Mom, as I’d been told I sounded just like her on the phone. This was not like me. The school told me that they knew I wasn’t my Mom and told me they were calling someone to come stay with me. An hour later my Aunt and Grandma came over and told me that my brother had killed himself that morning. The next time I experienced something was when I was stationed at my first duty station in the Army. I walked past the barracks room door of a soldier who had died a few months before, and started experiencing shortness of breath. I found out later she had died of pneumonia. I also hadn’t known what room was hers at the time. When I went to my next duty station, I again experienced something strange. I was laying in my bed trying to sleep and I suddenly felt something push its way through my back into my body, and I started to panic. I screamed in my head for it to get out, and it’s like something lifted out of me. For a few minutes afterward my tongue was numb and I had trouble speaking. Another time my husband and I were staying temporarily with his Step-Grandma. I had to use the bathroom but the main bathroom was occupied, so I went into the room where his Step-Grandpa had died of lung cancer a couple of years before. I went to go into the bathroom in that room and I was overcome by an oppressive feeling, almost a sense of dread and this horrible feeling that someone was standing right behind me. I had to leave the room immediately, and once I did the feeling was gone. I’ve had a few other minor occurrences happen, like seeing a man walk across the room through the wall, feeling like someone was in the room with me and seeing a dark shadow, hearing footsteps, etc. but I haven’t had anything happen to me in years. I’m wondering if this is an example of being empathic or something else, and if it’s possible to turn it on and off. One of my brothers used to be able to predict events and knew shorthand as a child and could remember things that supposedly happened in another life, and the one who killed himself could hear voices (schizophrenia, we believe), so I don’t know if there’s actual ability in our family or if it’s all in our heads. My Mom can also go into a house she’s never been to and suddenly get glimpses, both visual and emotional, of a person dying there. For example, she went to look at a house with my Uncle who was thinking of buying it, and she got a glimpse of a woman in blue hanging from the beam across the entryway. It was gone in an instant but she would get a feeling of a presence from time to time while walking through the house. They never checked to see if someone actually died in that house or not, so there is no verification, but she has had other glimpses from time to time. Once she even had a dream about a girl who had been murdered and a week later there was a story on the news about the girl in her dreams. The only thing is, if this is an ability rather than an illness, it seems to come and go and is not very strong, and it seems to be completely random in most cases.

11. austin
    Posted November 26, 2014 at 10:59 pm | Permalink

Hi. I’m really on here seeking coping mechanisms I guess. Um. I’ve always been tied to emotions and I’ve had a non stop barrage of trauma all my life. But I didn’t really consider the empathy until one day me and my best friend were in the park and she was upset about a break up, rape, and possible pregnancy (all from the same person) and we had sat on a bench and she said that the bench we were sitting on was where he had sang to her the first day they dated. I kinda began to drift off into space and when I came back to I had tears soaking my face and I felt like I had just fallen so deeply in love. I looked back at my friend who I’ve known for 5+ years and had never seen cry, and that’s exactly what she was doing. I hugged her and the moment I touched her my heart just broke. I was completely devastated I started crying almost harder then her I felt such a wave of emotions, depression, heartbreak, sadness, I felt so weak and powerless. Well its been a few years now and every day y since then I’ve been an angst sacking sponge. I can’t go in school with out crying and sometimes it’s all so overwhelming I just clutch tight onto something and cry sometimes I’ve even screamed it’s just all so overwhelming and there’s thousands of people in my school. I just want to know how to control this..

• austin
      Posted November 26, 2014 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Also, I feel others emotions quote Cleary and strongly without touching or looking or anything like that but when I do touch someone it just seems to amplify